Friday, October 18, 2013

Masculine Vintage Chic Family Room

The Family Room has been a work in progress for awhile. I wasn't really completely sure of the direction it was going in for a long time as this area, more-so than the rest of the house, is meant to be a reflection of not just my style, but my husband's as well. In other words, he has a large collection of Boston Red Sox paraphernalia and it was either going in here or the master bedroom. While I didn't want the family room to take on a sports bar theme, I had to find a way to mesh sports into my eclectic modern vintage style. As you can imagine this took a lot of careful consideration and lots of back and forth with decor ideas.

The family room currently has this awful orange-ish red carpeting that I'm hoping to ditch ASAP. We're going back and forth between installing hardwood flooring or just replacing the carpeting with something a little less offensive to the eyes... perhaps a cream colored carpet. The dark wood paneling on the walls were very outdated and gave the room a cave-like feel, so one day I decided to give the room a face-lift and paint it a lighter color. I painted the walls Vanilla Custard (Behr paint) which is the cream color in the color palette. In order to give the room a masculine feel I'm using warm brown tones in the furniture and,a vintage yellow as the accent colors in the room.




Cream Sofa Bed - Due to the transformation of our guest room to a nursery we are lacking adequate accomodations for guests so a sofa bed is the perfect solution. I really love this cream colored sofa bed and it is exactly the look I'm going for in the space.

Traditional Media TV Stand and Bookshelves - After spending several months looking for the perfect tv stand, I purchased this cherry wood media stand from Target which I love. Ideally, I would love the flank the tv stand with a couple of medium height bookshelves for additional storage. Unfortunately the tv stand does not come with coordinating pieces and it's been difficult to find shelves that I feel mix well with the color of the stand. So the bookshelves continue to be a search in progress for now.

3D Baseball Artwork - I figure if the husband wants to incorporate baseball into the room, it might as well be done in a stylish way. I got this piece of artwork as a birthday gift for my husband. I've satisfied his desire for the inclusion of sports related decor and my desire to maintain a chic style by keeping it limited to vintage inspired pieces.

Coqo Floral Curtains - I am in love with these curtains. They would look amazing over the sliding glass doors that lead out of the family room an onto the patio. They have a vintage vibe and have a feminine feel that isn't so overpowering that it would go against maintaining the masculine quantities of the room.

Throw Pillows - Pretty throw pillows similar this lovely pleated yellow and textured tan would be the perfect, comfy addition to the sofa.


Tullsta Chair - We currently have the Tullsta Chair in the Family Room. Unfortunately the white fabric was no match for my toddler. Luckily there are covers available so I'll be able to bring new life to the seating instead of having to buy a whole new piece!

Brown Shag Rug - I have a brown shag rug left over from the guest room which is currently collecting dust in my garage. However, it would be perfect in the family room and it's rich brown color certainly screams cozy!

Wicker Basket - A couple of wicker baskets placed around the room make great storage for extra toys, magazines and throw blankets.

Trunk/Coffee Table - A wood trunk would double as a great masculine looking coffee table while also providing storage for guest blankets, pillows and sheets.

Boston Red Sox Artwork - A couple of framed black and white Red Sox stadium and team photography is a chic way to incorporate Brian's love for the team into the room.

5 comments:

john said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the peach chablis said...

I love your idea of creating a reading space in your room! I would love to do that in front of our double windows in the living room, but I have to convince my husband that the couch does not need to be pushed up against the wall there!

I'm looking forward to seeing how your space turns out!

Anonymous said...

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but after
I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over
again. Anyhow, just wanted to say wonderful blog!


Take a look at my blog post - More info

Anonymous said...

It's perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy.
I have read this put up and if I may just I desire to recommend you few interesting issues or tips.

Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article.
I want to read even more issues approximately it!

my web page - visit url

Anonymous said...

Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment
(it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm
thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am
an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any suggestions for newbie blog writers? I'd really appreciate it.



My website: corporate cakes Johannesburg

Post a Comment